Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ticket? What Ticket?

The story for today comes to us via an anonymous writer. She was gracious enough to share her story with us, and boy is it a good one. I can't say I've ever had this happen to me in such an extreme capacity, but it really made me start to wonder if some older people should have their license revoked. It's not that I think all older people are incapable of driving correctly, or comprehending clear and simple instruction and direction, but this story just proves that some of them absolutely are.

I traveled from point A to point B every weekend last year. It was about 100 miles each way, and was not an enjoyable trip. The only reason I did it was for work. Let's just say I really liked my job, and the people I worked with, and couldn't find anything else where I had moved to. The first 45 minutes of the drive is winding roads and hills, with only one lane each way. I always got stuck behind trucks who can't seem to manage going up the hills without practically stopping. By the time I get to the turnpike, I am about 40 minutes from home, but am ready to be there NOW!

Well, on one of these many trips home, I encountered an elderly woman who apparently has never been on the turnpike before, or any other toll road for that matter. As I am coming to the booth, a car cuts right in front of me. I am in a hurry, and not in the mood for it, but I ignore it, and think it's just a second more I have to wait. Boy, was I wrong. After sitting behind the car for a minute, without the driver reaching for a ticket, I start to wonder what's going on. I would have backed out and went to another lane, but there were about 5 cars behind me at this point.

As we sit there, I see the woman get out of her car, completely, and start walking around. I am in disbelief. This is NOT A REST STOP! She walks to my car, and asks me where she is at, and how she can get to...Oakwood, I think she said. I do not know the area, and tell her so. But I tell her that she has to get a ticket and move on, because she is backing up everyone else.

"A ticket? Where do I get that?" (Like it's not sticking out right beside her when she stepped out of her car?!?) I tell her, but then she goes to the booth where her ticket is, and pounds on it, yelling,"hey, I need some help out here!" There was no one in that booth, and the man from a couple booths down yells to her, "take a ticket and keep going ma'am!" Ha, like it was going to be that easy!

She starts to walk towards him, across the other lanes, and asks directions. Boy, oh boy. We have probably been sitting there for almost 5 minutes until she decides that she isn't going to take a ticket, and she gets back in her car, and does a loop, going through the lane of the man she was just yelling at, and back off the turnpike. Apparently she was not headed the right way. I was just glad to see her move, and so I got my ticket, and was on my way home.

Wow. Just...wow. I don't think I have words for this post other than that. Oh, and THE TURNPIKE LANES ARE NOT PARKING LANES. This goes out to anyone else who seems to think this, because I know there's several people out there. You may not get out of your car like this woman did, but fiddling with a ticket instead of just driving, or not having your money prepared holds up traffic, too. And it's just not cool, guys. So could we all take this story into consideration and try to be more kind to others. Some people have places they have to be and a time they have to be there. No matter how early they leave, sometimes they just can't anticipate running into people like this. So don't be one of those people. Make driving a happy thing, not a road rage invoking one. Jail cells across America would appreciate your cooperation.

And remember, you, too, may have your story put up on the site. Just send it to RubyTwilight@verizon.net with the subject "It's Traffic Time." Please also include your state, but not your city. You can chose to have a first name or other identification put on your post, or remain anonymous like this writer. You retain all copy rights to the story, and are just agreeing to share it with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment